New Drivers and Construction
There’s a lot of new driver’s out there and many are still learning the ins and outs of how to properly drive through construction zones. Unfortunately, there are a few out there that still need to learn the rules of the road when it comes to construction and even construction workers that are present.
If you have a teen driver in the house and feel they need more education on how to properly drive in the zone, here are some important reminders:
- *Always stay alert and pay attention to surroundings. Avoid extra noise such as radio, loud talking, etc.
- *Be sure to read all construction signs present
- *Make sure your headlights are turned on so that everyone can see you including construction workers.
- *Never tailgate other drivers
- *Pay close attention to speed limits in the construction zone. Always go the speed limit or slightly under depending on weather conditions.
- *Try to stay with the flow of traffic.
- *Never change lanes in work zones. Just stay in the lane and be safe.
- *Always be ready to expect the unexpected. Be sure you’re using your senses effectively.
- *If you see construction workers, keep your eyes on them as well to keep them safe. Remember there are hefty fines, jail time, etc. if you injure or even kill a worker.
- *Just be patient. Nothing is ever worth rushing through if it jeopardizes your safety and the safety of those around you. Always use good judgment!!